Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sister and Venice


On the afternoon of Saturday, March 9 my sister Steph arrived in Verona! After an extremely long journey she was happy to get to my apartment. I have no words for how excited I was to see her, my little piece of home :)

I let her sleep a little that afternoon and we headed out for a delicious dinner of lasagna, wine and funny waiters who laugh at my attempts to speak Italian. After a stroll in the piazza for gelato we snuggled up in my twin bed to get some rest.

The next morning we headed to Venice for the day with my program. I truly didn’t know what to expect, because my only knowledge of Venice is that it’s sinking (or something like that).

When we arrived I immediately knew I was in a place unlike any other. I think that was my main take-away from the day there – Venice it’s incredibly unique just by the nature of it’s geographical design.


In the morning Claudio took us to a glass blowing studio and a school famous for teaching how to make Venetian lace. We saw demonstrations at both places and had some time to look around at the amazing hand-crafted products there.

It was time for lunch after that. Since it was a Claudio-planned trip, you already know that lunch was one of the highlights. I’d like to think that this semester has really helped me broaden my horizons and I’m into trying new things. However, eating squid-ink pasta was not such a positive experience. It tasted like the Shedd Aquarium. 

After lunch we walked past a small canal with some gondoliers waiting for anxious tourists to drop their euros for a scenic tour through the floating city. We were those exact tourists.

While on the gondola we learned that no cars or bikes are allowed on the island of Venice, and that there are over 400 bridges in the city connecting all of the smaller islands.

We had some more free time after that and decided to visited St. Mark’s Basilica and wander through the shops.

Venice was definitely an exciting day and I loved watching how all of the boats, gondolas and water taxis navigate the Grand Canal together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment